The phrase “once I’m established” is my favorite thing to say when I imagine my successful, adult future. For some time I’ve kept a poorly organized mental list in my head of all the things I hope to do the second I become a stable, functioning member of society. They go beyond the normal “I want to decorate my own home” type of ideas. Although they aren’t even that impressive lol. I think most people have nice, reliable cars (see item 8). These will be the things that prove that I have finally entered the true adult life:
- Own a garage and park my car inside (not having my own home means I’m the extra car that parks on the street)
- Enroll in pole dancing classes (fitness classes will mean I have extra money to spend, plus I’ll gain extra street cred for being able to pole dance)
- Actually pay for a Netflix account (as I currently mooch of my mom’s).
- Sleep in a new, nice, expensive mattress (The day I move out permanently, is the day I buy myself the most prestigious mattress I can afford).
- Have a room dedicated as a library (being established must mean that I have accumulated a mass amount of literature in my journey to adulthood.)
- Grow avocado trees in my backyard (I just really like avocados and really dislike their priciness)
- Teach my kids Spanish (as a prospering adult I surely have perfected my own Spanish skills, bagged a man, and yielded children to educate.)
- Own a reliable, fairly new car that doesn’t have multiple issues or embarrassments.
- Have a shit ton of shoes, just because I love shoes.
- Chop off all my hair. I have this idea that as an established adult who is happy and confident, I will no longer feel the need to have hair on my head lol.
Keeping a list like this, keeps things fun for me. They’re little things to look forward to and I’m definitely interested in how many I’ll actually be able to check mark.